You spoke, and we listened! The stunning living room of photographer Annie Schlechter and Russel Maret was the most loved maximalist interior in yesterday’s poll, so let’s talk a bit about what makes this room so special and find out how to get the look.
This fabulous New York City apartment is a fine example of how you can achieve a maximalist aesthetic without bold wallpapers or quirky upholstery.
Rather than experimenting with furniture, Annie and Maret chose to invest in classics that are easy to work with and hold the potential to adapt to many different interior styles. Look closer and you will find traces of different design eras that all come together in harmony and make the room feel as a whole.
The style is eclectic to its core. The vibrant technicolour shades of pink, blue and yellow are juxta-positioned with antique and Mid Century pieces which make the space feel both modern and traditional at the same time.
Instead of maximalist wallpapers, the couple went for a statement gallery wall that covers the entire surface around the windows and features a vibrant shade of blue.
If you are looking to curate an authentic maximalist aesthetic in your own home and you appreciate the design of this particular living room, don’t just go for replicating the look, but rather use this space as a guide and build from it. No matter how hard you try, you will never be able to find exact furniture and decor as all the pieces are either vintage, rescued or unique.
Striking maximalist interiors are all about freedom and self-expression which means you can get away with almost anything (like a technicolour and antique combo) if you master the layering. Give yourself time to curate a collection of your vintage treasure hunts. After all, building a home is a labor of love. But we all have to start somewhere.
- Beaulieu Tide Mill Oil Painting Vintage Sailing Boats Painting Signed Framed English Nautical Art Landscape
- Jean Gabriel Domergue Portrait Original Etching 1924
- 1912 Catalan Modernism Mirror, Conglomerate And Stucco, Antoni Gaudi Style
- Maison Baguès Style Brass Faux Bamboo Floor Lamp
- Contemporary Original Framed Bodycolour By Artist C.R.Brook
- Louis Xv Style Commode
- Meridian Original Handcrafted Art Deco Round Wall Mirror In Gold
- Elegant Regency Carved Satinwood Sofa With Scarlet Upholstery
- Large Rectangular Cushion In Carnation
- Harry Potter Signature Series Book Stack Lamp
- Vintage Industrial Coffee Table Made From Heavy Duty Pallets
- Walnut Tunbridge Inlay Work/Sewing Box
- Mid Century Danish Yellow Lounge Chair, 1960s
- Small Tripod Table